We're excited to announce the Amazon Alexa skill for ilumi Smart Lighting products. Check out the below instructions to see how you can control your ilumi Smart Lighting products using Amazon Alexa.
*IMPORTANT* - The ilumi app must be running in the foreground or background to utilize the Alexa skill.
1. First, you'll want to make sure that you have the Amazon Alexa app installed on your device. Open the Alexa app and then tap the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner of the screen.
2. After opening the menu screen, select 'Skills', then search 'ilumi'. You should see the below skill appear in the search results. Tap on the ilumi skill to enable access.
3. Amazon Alexa will need to link to your ilumi account your account to allow control of your ilumi with Alexa. Tap the blue 'Enable' button within the ilumi skill, which will redirect you to a login screen where you will enter the email address and password that you use to login to the ilumi app (you can also use your Facebook login if you use Facebook to login to the ilumi app). Tap 'Login' to complete account linking.
4. After entering your ilumi credentials and tapping 'Login', you'll be redirected a confirmation message letting you know that your ilumi account was correctly linked. Tap 'Done' in the upper left-hand corner to return to the ilumi Skill page.
You're all set! You can confirm that your account has been linked by saying 'Alexa, open ilumi.' You'll want to make sure that your device is nearby and that the ilumi app is running in the background to ensure proper control of your ilumi Smart Lighting products.
There is a current bug with Alexa where the ilumi app is not being found in the skill section. They have provided us with a link to get our customers to enable the skill in the meantime :
After clicking on the first link to enable the skill, you will need to sign in to your Amazon account, then click on "Enable Skill". From there, if your popups are not blocked, another page will open up, requesting you to enter your ilumi account credentials. After you do so, the skill has been enabled.
USING THE ILUMI SKILL
The ilumi Amazon Alexa currently offers the below functionality:
- Turn On [Group Name]
- Turn Off [Group Name]
- Activate [Favorite Name]
Each of these features can be used in Command Mode or Interactive Mode
In Command Mode, each request you make to your Amazon Alexa device must start with "Alexa, tell ilumi to _____." This allows you to send a single command to Alexa at a time. Some examples include:
- "Alexa, tell ilumi to turn on Living Room"
- "Alexa, tell ilumi to turn off Bedroom"
- "Alexa, tell ilumi activate Movie Mode"
Make sure to use the Group or Favorite names that you've assigned to your ilumi so Alexa knows which bulbs to control!
Interactive Mode is a more conversational way to interact with your ilumi using Amazon Alexa, and it can be especially useful when you want to send more than one ilumi command to Alexa without having to say "Alexa, tell ilumi to ___" for each command. To use interactive mode, say "Alexa, open ilumi." From there, the interaction might look something like this:
USER: "Alexa, open ilumi."
ALEXA: "Ready to accept your ilumi commands."
USER: "Turn Bedroom on."
ALEXA: "Turning Bedroom on. What's next?"
USER: "Turn Living Room on."
ALEXA: "Turning Living Room on. Next command?"
USER: "Activate Movie Mode."
ALEXA: "Activating Movie Mode."
Ensure that you are using your own Group name and Favorite names when interacting with Alexa. To exit Interactive Mode, simply say 'Stop', 'Cancel', or just ignore Alexa for ~5 seconds.
If you have any questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'd be happy to help!