You may encounter an issue when your app does not connect to your ilumi bulbs. Because ilumi uses Bluetooth LE, the Bluetooth connection will drop when the ilumi app is moved to the background, when you close the ilumi app, or when your device goes into sleep mode.
Reconnecting to your bulbs is as simple as opening the ilumi app and tapping one of your bulbs. However, if your device's Bluetooth is not connecting to the ilumi right away, there are a few things you can do to force the connection.
First, make sure you have verified the following:
- You have the latest version of the ilumi app from the iTunes or Google Play.
- Check that your device's Bluetooth is turned on. If Bluetooth is on, resetting Bluetooth on your device by turning it off/on might also resolve your connection issue.
- The physical light switch of the lamp or fixture is in the "on" position.
- If your ilumi are not powered on or the Bluetooth connection is lost, you may see this screen:
After a period of inactivity, when you access the app again, you may see an activity "spinner" icon, indicating that your app is attempting to reestablish the Bluetooth connection with your ilumi. If you are not able to control your ilumi, try the troubleshooting steps below.
To reconnect, try these troubleshooting steps:
1. Check basic ilumi functions: With the app open, and your ilumi turned on, tap the ilumi you wish to control and swipe left to turn off, and swipe right to turn on.
Does your ilumi respond? If not, go to step 2.
2. Check ilumi color control: Tap a color from the color swatch.
Does your ilumi respond? If not, go to step 3.
3. Check if ilumi are still paired: Tap the menu icon in the top left corner of the screen, and then tap "Add ilumi". This section of the app searches for all available ilumi and in the event your ilumi was accidentally reset, it would appear in this screen again to be paired again. The app will begin searching, and display this message:
Once the app has finished searching, it may display the message "All available ilumi are paired". Tap the menu icon again to go back to the "Groups" screen and tap the ilumi you wish to control. Try to change the color and/or turn the ilumi off/on.
Does your ilumi respond? If not, go to step 4.
4. Reset device Bluetooth connection: Go to your Settings and turn your Bluetooth off and on. Go back to the ilumi app, and change the color or turn off/on.
Does your ilumi respond? If not, go to step 5.
5. Restart ilumi app: Close the ilumi app entire (force close, if necessary). Open the app again, and tap the ilumi you wish to control, and change the color and/or turn off/on.
Does your ilumi respond? If not, you will need to reset your ilumi smartbulbs and pair again.
Reset your ilumi smartbulbs:
Your ilumi may need to be manually reset and paired again to the app. In the app, tap and hold the ilumi that you're no longer able to control. This will bring up the "Edit Groups" screen. Tap the red circle with the minus (-) sign button, and then tap "Delete".
If your ilumi truly are not connecting to your device, you may receive the following notification:
Important! Tap "Cancel". When you tap "Cancel," the following message with appear:
Then, finally, tap "Remove". This will remove the ilumi from your app, and your ilumi should begin to cycle through colors - red, green, blue, and finally, to white.
Important! If your ilumi does not begin to color cycle, it has not been completely reset. Go to the manual switch, and turn the switch off/on five times at a normal/slow pace. Then, the ilumi will begin to color cycle.
Pair Your ilumi Again
To pair the ilumi to the app again, tap the menu icon in the top left corner of the screen, and then tap "Add ilumi". The app will begin searching for available ilumi, and your ilumi should respond by turning a color, which will also be displayed on the app as a corresponding color icon, as shown below:
Still having problems connecting to your ilumi?
Please contact us as soon as possible at email@example.com or by clicking the "Need Help?" button at the top of the page. Let us know what device you're using, and we'll help you find out what's going on. Thank you!