ilumi are smart, but you can make them smarter by updating your ilumi's Firmware! We will periodically improve the firmware of your ilumi and it's important to keep your ilumi up-to-date.
When a new Firmware update is available, a message will appear in the ilumi app asking if you want to make your ilumi smarter. This will trigger the Firmware Update process for one of your ilumi.
You can attempt to manually start the Firmware Update process in the "More" tab, un 'Account' in the menu and then 'Firmware Update'.
Firmware update process:
- Power on only one ilumi, and turn power off for all other ilumi
- Press "update" on the Firmware update screen
- ilumi will begin to pulse orange - Downloading firmware update to ilumi
- ilumi will begin to pulse blue - ilumi is installing firmware update
- ilumi will turn to bright white - Firmware update is complete
- Close app, and power on any additional ilumi to allow the first ilumi to send update to the other ilumi.
Information about the Firmware Update process:
Once you start the Firmware Update process, your device will begin to download the update from our servers and install the new firmware on the ilumi. Keep in mind that it can take several minutes to complete.
For the best chances of successfully updating the firmware, we recommend the following:
- Make sure you are using the latest ilumi app from iTunes or Google Play
- Update only ONE ilumi at a time through the app, and turn OFF the power for any other ilumi that you may have
- Keep your phone plugged into a power source and nearby the ilumi you are updating
- Ensure you have a good connection to the internet from your device
- Do not turn the power off of an ilumi while the Firmware Update process is going on
What do the flashing colors mean?
When your ilumi is receiving a firmware update, it will pulse yellow for a few minutes, then it will pulse blue for a few minutes, and then finally power on to a bright white. When your ilumi stops changing colors and remains at the bright white color, the firmware update has completed and it is safe to operate your ilumi normally.
How do I update my other ilumi?
An ilumi that has the most recent firmware version can update your other ilumi, simply by being within the Bluetooth signal range.
Once one of your ilumi receives a firmware update, it will share it with any other nearby ilumi that are paired to the same network. If your ilumi are close by, just power on all your ilumi, close the app, and let your ilumi do the rest.
After a few minutes, the ilumi that is sharing the firmware will pulse green and the ilumi that is receiving the update will pulse yellow. Once the ilumi are finished updating, they will all turn back to the bright white and stop changing colors.
Remember to let the ilumi complete the firmware update process and not power off your ilumi until the update is complete.
My app shows that the update failed or it's stuck on one of the steps:
If you use the app to update the firmware, and the firmware update doesn't complete or seems to stop before completing, then your device may have lost connection with our server during the update. Simply press the back arrow in the top left corner of the screen, and restart the firmware update.
I updated my firmware, but now I can't connect to my ilumi
An ilumi may become unpaired after a firmware update, and may need to become paired again. If you are trying to pair and are unsuccessful, it may be necessary to restart your device to ensure you have disconnected the Bluetooth signal from the ilumi, before you pair your device to the ilumi again.
I have a Generation 1 bulb and are unable to pair
We have been seeing an issue with Generation 1 bulbs such as the A21's and PAR30's with updating their firmware. At this time, we have suggested Users use their Original app (Colorful logo) to update their firmware at this time. Here is a link on how to update using the Original app :
If you have any questions, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'd be happy to help!